Spicy Szechwan Chicken
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- 2 frying chickens, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Asian chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, very finely minced
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro stem, chopped
- Rinse the chicken pieces, pat dry, and place in a bowl.
- Combine the marinade ingredients and mix well.
- Add the marinade to the chicken and coat the pieces evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- To grill: Heat grill to medium temperature and brush the cooking rack with oil, then lay the chicken skin-side up in the center of the rack.
- Cover the grill and regulate the heat so that it remains at a medium temperature.
- Grill the chicken for about 12 minutes on each side.
- The chicken is done when the breasts register 160° and the thighs register 170° on a meat thermometer.
- As the chicken cooks, brush on the remaining marinade.
- To roast: Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Roast the chicken until the juices run clear when the meat is prodded deeply with fork, about 30 minutes.
- During roasting, brush with the marinades.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I really enjoyed this chicken. Actually, I had to make it twice since I burned the skin horribly the first time (note- only cook this skin side down long enough to get nice grill marks) and didn't feel like I'd gotten enough of the flavor to give a fair review. The second time I made it, I used a butterflied game hen and let in sit in the marinade for 24 hours. It was very good, the meat was moist, but as another reviewer noted, not as spicy as I would have expected, especially since I doubled the chili sauce. Overall, a yummy recipe that I would be happy to make again.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>? Hi! My name is Teresa.? My husband and I like to take RV trips but it seems lately we just us it for vintage motorcross races. I enjoy hiking, snowshoeing, have done some rock climbing but age is creeping up on my poor old bones. Anything to do with the outdoors I enjoy, so why do I live in rainy Washington state? We have 2 wonderful children, both grown. My son lives in LA and my daughter and her husband recently moved back in the area with their little boy...our grandson... who just turned?5 years old. We have a granddaughter who lives close by...she just turned 23 this year. She's a sweetheart.? Life is good when you have a son and a?daughter and they?gift?you with a granddaughter and grandson. :)??</p>