Spiced Pineapple Pork
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 boneless pork loin steaks, trimmed of excess fat
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 14 ounces pineapple, rings in juice, drained, but juice reserved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- cilantro leaf, to serve
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- Add the oil to a large non-stick pan, season the steaks well, then fry for 5 mins on each side until golden and almost cooked through.
- Mix the sugar, soy, tomato paste and most of the pineapple juice in a bowl.
- Add the pineapple rings to the pan and let them caramelise a little alongside the pork.
- Add the chili and five-spice to the pan, then fry for 1 min until aromatic.
- Tip in the soy mix and let it bubble around the pork and pineapple for a few mins until slightly reduced and sticky.
- Sprinkle with cilantro, and serve with rice and Chinese greens.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My whole family loved this recipe. The one thing we would change, and I'll do this next time, is to double the amount of ingredients for the sauce, there didn't seem to be enough sauce to pour over the pork chops and rice. Also, use a big pan, big enough for the pork chops and the pineapple slices. I left out the chili powder, since my family doesn't like anything spicy. Thanks for this recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Manchester, UK with my fiance and young son. I work at the local hospital in pediatrics and love my job. I also love cooking!! I have a sweet tooth but try and make healthy family meals, I'm not against some lovely treats now and then though :)