Spiced Pear Cranberry Cobbler
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄3 cup chilled butter flavor shortening
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- 4 medium bosc pears, peeled, cored & sliced lengthwise (1/4-inch thick)
- 3 1⁄2 cups cranberries
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon sugar, for dusting
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon butter
- For pastry: In medium bowl, combine flour & salt; add chilled butter & shortening. with pastry blender, combine until mixture resembles cornmeal. Sprinkle with ice water. Toss lightly with a fork until dough holds together when pinched. Flatten dough to a round; wrap in plastic wrap & refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling: In large bowl, combine pear slices & cranberries. Sprinkle with 1 1/4c sugar, whole wheat flour, allspice & cardamom; mix thoroughly. Spread fruit mixture into a 13x9x2" pan; dot w/1TB butter. Heat oven to 375°F.
- On lightly floured surface, roll pastry to about 1/8" thick, making it 1" larger than the rim of the pan. Place pastry over fruit. Crimp border around rim. Cut 3 2" slits in pastry. Dust w/1tsp sugar. Bake 45 minutes until browned & fruit is bubbling. Cool 15-20 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
A GREAT COBBLER, THIS! We really enjoyed the pairing of these 2 fruits & won't have changed a thing throughout the entire recipe! Took this to a potluck, so it actually served 12 very nicely, & everyone seemed to want the recipe ~ Thanks for sharing it with us! [Made & reviewed as a recipenap in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 19]
This was SO GOOD! The tartness of the cranberries went nicely with the sweetness of the pears. And the crust was excellent and easy to work with, too! In fact, my 10-year-old son helped me make the crust and we rolled it together. Hubby preferred his serving with ice cream. I just ate it by itself. I don't know what type of calendar you got this from, but if you get a 2006 edition I hope you'll post some recipes from it!! :)