Spiced Cauliflower Soup
photo by Brian Holley
- Ready In:
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 small cauliflower, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, grated
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 pints vegetables or 1 1/2 pints chicken stock
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- pepper coriander leaves (to garnish)
- Place potato, cauliflower and onion in a pot with the oil and 3 tbsp water.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices, cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to boil again, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in the yogurt.
- Serve garnished with the coriander leaves.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I love Indian food, and I loved this recipe! I did make a few adjustments: I sweated the onions in the oil for a bit before steaming, and I increased almost all of the spices (I like spice). After adding the yogurt, I didn't like the texture and consistency much, so I removed about 2/3 of the vegetables with a slotted spoon and used a stick blender on the rest before adding the vegetables back. The result was fantastic!