Spaghetti and Fried Eggs
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb thin spaghetti
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 6 tablespoons lard
- 2 large garlic cloves, lightly smashed and peeled
- 4 eggs
- fresh ground black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional) or pecorino cheese (optional)
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Start the sauce in the next step, and start cooking the pasta when the water boils.
- Combine garlic and 4 tablespoons of the oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the garlic, pressing it into the oil occasionally to release its flavor; it should barely color on both sides. Remove the garlic, and add the remaining oil.
- Fry the eggs gently in the oil, until the whites are just about set and the yolks still quite runny. Drain the pasta, and toss with the eggs and oil, breaking up the whites as you do. (The eggs will finish cooking in the heat of the pasta.) Season to taste, and serve immediately, with cheese if you like.
Join The Conversation
LOL... I made this last week with some extra, left-over, cooked spaghetti noodles from the dinner the night before (with making this in mind). I've done something similar in the past, but had never thought to add the smashed garlic to the oil or to top with parm. Hubby and I enjoyed this very much. I've made it a second time since then with the remainder of the noodles. Thank you for posting. Made for Culinary Quest 2014 / Suitcase Gourmets
Evelyn, without a doubt, quick, easy and delicious, definitely a new favourite for me! Even quicker if you have leftover spaghetti in the fridge (although I didn't, I made it from fresh). Lots of parmesan, a healthy grind of black pepper, I was generous with the garlic .. and oh yes, I used butter instead of the oil, so I expect that upped the calories, but oh gosh, so good!!!<br/><br/>Thanks for sharing, Loved this supremely easy and delicious recipe!