Sole Rolls (Poached in Milk)
photo by Derf2440
- Ready In:
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, quartered and quartered again
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh spinach, chopped and packed
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and crushed
- 1 tablespoon ricotta cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb sole fillet, in one piece
- 1⁄4 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill (or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill)
- 1⁄2 cup milk (I use 2%)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Line a serving platter with the fresh baby spinach leaves; arrange slices of tomato around edge of spinach; sprinkle salt and pepper and chopped green onion around tomato slices. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium frypan, saute onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomato, spinach, capers and ricotta cheese, cook, stirring 1 minute or until heated through. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper, set aside to cool. Do not rinse the frypan, it will be used to poach the roll.
- Squeeze lemon over fillet and sprinkle with the dill. Spread the filling evenly over the fillet. Starting at the tail end, (shortest end), roll fillet up like a jelly roll. If necessary use toothpicks to hold.
- Add the milk to the frypan, bring to simmer and deglaze. Carefully add the filled sole roll to the milk, seam side down, spoon milk over the roll; cover and simmer/poach for about 10 minutes, or until fish flakes and is cooked through. Sprinkle with parmesan shreds and carefully remove to the centre of the arranged platter; cut the roll evenly in two; drizzle a little of the reduced milk over platter arrangement and fish; sprinkle with green onion; serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I could not get a single fillet this size, so used two 8 oz fillets. I used thawed chopped spinach instead of fresh, as I need to use some up, and used cream cheese instead of ricotta, as the dish of ricotta mysteriously disappeared! Finally, I subbed half and half for milk, as I had no milk. I was a little dubious about doing this in a skillet - I had a hard time imagining how it would poach when there was so little liquid. So I put it into a saucepan. Both rolled fillets fit nicely within it, and the milk bubbled up nicely around the rolls. I found that after 10 minutes the very center part of the roll was not cooked through. Given that my rolls where smaller, I just want to caution others that you will want to check for that. The flavor was wonderful - the tartness of the lemon, the tanginess of the capers (and how could anything with capers be bad?) the classic combination of tomato and spinach. When you factor in how quickly this is made, you have a winner on all counts.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>November 4th, 2013: Our community lost a wonderful friend when Dorothy passed away on October 24th, 2013. We are shocked and saddened by her passing and there is a thread for expressing your condolences.</p> <p>Mary at Food.com</p> <p><a href=http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=398284>http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=398284</a></p> <p> </p> <p>********************************************************************</p> <p>I live in the sunny okanogan valley - I am a retired Resort Services Director, love collecting receipes and cooking but am a diabetic so some times i can only collect </p> <p>Love traveling, own a timeshare, went to Portugal in the year 2000, this picture was taken there, so it's 9 years old, but the only decent one I have, I am not photogenic and hate having my picture taken!! <br />I've been enjoying lushious recipes from 'zaar for 9 years now, since January 2001. <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Animation1.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /> <img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/berriesblinkie.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/4treasurehunt.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/purplechefhat.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/chef3.jpg alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/FinishedJollyRoger_1.jpg border=0 alt=Image hosting by Photobucket.com /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/dragonspearls_1.jpg border=0 alt=Image hosting by Photobucket /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/FFF/completedbanner.gif alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/TasteofYellow.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Octoberevent.jpg alt= /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1535/cheesesticker.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/personal/FRENCH-foodfun.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/EditBeforeandAfterSTICKER.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/Banners/Photo_Video_577111733_orig.jpg alt= /><img src=http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/484938/Spelling-Bee-stick2jpg.jpg alt= /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/holidaylightssticker.jpg alt= /><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/derf16/food%20photography%20series/Comfortstickercopysmall.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/photo-swap-7sticky.jpg alt= /><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/derf16/food%20photography%20series/MuffinLovesticker.jpg alt= /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/L%5B1%5D.F-stickJPEG.jpg alt= /><img src=http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/484938/MayFlowerssticker.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/TasteofYellowSTICKER.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/BBQlSTKR.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/CobblerPieTartSTICKER.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/CROCKPOTSTKR.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/FISHSEAFDSTICKER.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/CookingSchoolHost1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/BeyondburgersST.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/Elves-appreciationSTICKER.jpg alt= /></p>