Slow Cooker Ginger-Beef Noodle Soup
Recipe is by Grace Parisi, posted at foodandwine.com.
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 20mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef chuck, in one piece
- 8 cups beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup very thinly sliced peeled ginger
- 2 tablespoons very thinly sliced peeled ginger
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 star anise, pod
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, caps only, thickly sliced
- 3 large scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 lb fresh Chinese egg noodles or 1 lb thick japanese udon noodles
- toasted sesame oil or hot chili oil, for serving
- In a slow cooker, combine the meat with the broth, water, soy sauce, ginger, onion, garlic and star anise. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, until the meat is tender. Transfer the meat to a plate and let cool slightly. Using 2 forks, pull the meat into thick shreds.
- Strain the broth, discarding the solids. Return the broth to the cooker. Add the shiitakes, scallions and shredded meat. Cook on high for 15 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until al dente. Drain well.
- Add the noodles to the soup. Serve in deep bowls, passing the sesame or chili oil at the table.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Hubby thought 5 stars, I thought 4, but this is a keeper. I did not strain the onions and ginger out of the broth because I bought cubed stew meat and it was too hard. It actually works out fine to do this, so long as your ginger pieces aren't too big to start with. I couldn't fit the 4 cups of water into my crock pot. I substituted 1/2 tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder for the star anise. I used 16 oz baby bella mushrooms as my store didn't have anything more exotic. I also cooked a box of rice noodles directly in the soup as it was very brothy for my liking. I will make this again!