Slow Cooker Coconut Pork Curry
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 40mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch pieces
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups low-sodium broth
- steamed rice, chopped cilantro and sliced scallions, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Add half of the pork to the skillet and brown it over moderately high heat, about 12 minutes. Transfer the pork to the slow cooker. Repeat with the remaining pork.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat in the skillet. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, curry, cumin and turmeric and cook over low heat, stirring, until fragrant and the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Scrape the mixture into the slow cooker. Add the tomatoes and their juices, coconut milk and stock, cover and cook on high for 4 hours. Spoon off as much fat from the surface of the stew as possible. Serve the stew over rice in deep bowls, garnished with cilantro and scallions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!