Sissy's Can't Wait for Dinner Cornbread
I've tried a lot of cornbread recipes but this one works the best (I use my mom's old aluminum pan so the crust is lightly brown but the bread nice and moist- don't overcook!) Toast the leftovers for breakfast with butter and jam.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter (softened)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425° (Important!).
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg with milk and butter. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Bake in prepared pan* 20 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- *You can either take a paper towel and rub butter all over the inside of the pan to coat or use PAM- but butter works best!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Very good home-cooking cornbread, with the added bonus of being quck to make. I used buttermilk (needed to use it up)in place of regular milk and added just a wee bit more sugar. Be sure to NOT overcook. Set your timer for less than 20 minutes. Mine baked up much faster. was overdone at the 20 minute mark and was still moist and good. Can only imagine if I had been more diligent about the time issue. My butter was not soft enough and clumped badly even with major beating. Didn't matter one bit, still delish!Reply
see 2 more