Simple Chili With Polenta
- Ready In:
- 1 cup cornmeal (medium grind if possible)
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup broth (or 1 tsp bouillon and 1 cup cold water)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes ("fire roasted" taste best)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 dash cumin
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash paprika
- Polenta: boil water, then stir 1 cup cornmeal into 1 cup (cold) broth.
- Add boiling water and salt, and bring to a boil. [Start cooking chili while waiting for it to boil.].
- Once it boils, lower heat and cover. Stir occasionally and cook for about ten minutes, until thick (starts clinging to the sides of the pan). Remove from heat and stir in parmesan. Serve warm.
- For chili: Brown turkey in a medium-large saucepan. If adding onions or peppers, can cook them at the same time.
- Add tomatoes (undrained), black and pinto beans, and desired seasonings. Start with a small amount of seasoning and add gradually to avoid "Oh no! It's too spicy!" for you wimps like me. :).
- Bring to a simmer and ladle polenta into bowls. Spoon chili on top; add grated cheese if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I have always loved to cook and especially loved to bake. This was complicated when I found out I am a celiac, and had to stop using gluten (wheat, rye, barley) in my recipes! I pride myself on still making very yummy treats and modifying normal recipes, and people generally don't even know they are eating gluten-free food that I've served!</p> <p>I am a freelance writer and editor with three children. None of us necessarily like the same food, so I am constantly striving for compromise.<br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg alt=/ /></p>