Sicilian Lentil Pasta Sauce
This is a great chunky vegetarian pasta sauce which almost tastes meaty. It is easy to sneak a few more vegetables in there if desired. The sugar is not strictly necessary and you may be able to omit the second lot of water. My toddler LOVED this recipe and couldn't get enough.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, fresh,chopped
- 1 zucchini
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 3 cups water
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, mushrooms, zucchini and garlic.
- Cook while stirring over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add lentils[I like the orange ones] and 3 cups water to the vegetables.
- Turn up the heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 45 to 60 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, and 1/2 cup water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- If necessary, add more water to keep the sauce from sticking.
- Be careful not to dilute; the sauce should be quite thick.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I found this was good but needed a bit more, so I added celery,carrot and also a bit of mixed dried italian herbs and sweet paprika powder. Also I used green french lentils which took a lot longer to cook but they are firmer and hold theitr shape well. I have also tried this sauce with sausage thrown in and it was really delicious.Reply
Spectacular! I've never made homemade pasta sauce before and I'm really glad I tried this one first. It was very hearty, from the lentils. And the mushrooms provided a nice "meaty" texture. I added oregano and basil, and next time I'll probably add carrots. I served it over angel hair pasta and it was might good! Thanks for my new favorite recipe!Reply