Shrimp Egg Foo Yong
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 2 cups fish stock or 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon fire oil (Mongolian) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (diced)
- 1⁄4 cup onion (minced)
- 8 ounces shrimp (small to medium, raw)
- 1⁄2 cup shiitake mushroom (or other mushrooms of your choice)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts (thinly sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup bamboo shoot
- 3 spring onions (sliced in small rings)
- 6 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- Rinse and drain in colander bean sprouts, water chestnuts, and bamboo shoots.
- In sauce pan, mix corn starch with 1/4 cup of stock, then add remaining stock.
- Cook over medium to high heat, adding oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and fish sauce.
- Bring to simmer until sauce thickens, then turn heat down to only keeping it hot.
- In a wok, put peanut oil and Fire oil and heat.
- Sauté celery and onions.
- Add shrimp and mushrooms, sauté just until shrimp start to turn pink.
- Remove from heat and oil, and put aside to drain.
- Beat the eggs and whites.
- Dip about 1 to 2 ounces of egg mixture into wok (if it does not still have the oil, add more and make sure it is hot before adding mixture).
- Add a scant 1/4 cup drained shrimp and vegetables, including spring onions.
- Sauté on each side until golden, turning only once.
- Set each pancake on paper towel to drain, until all are done.
- Place pancakes in serving dish and pour hot sauce over them.
- Serve with hot rice, a fruit salad, and hot tea, or sake, if you are so inclined.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
One thing I have learned about asian cooking and that is to have everything chopped measured out and ready to go. I have stir fried for years and found this recipe not at all difficult knowing this. I do not have a wok but this works in a large nonstick fry pan. I left out oyster sauce,fish sauce,bamboo & fire oil. Fried til tender and medium brown. I cheated and used chicken gravy from a jar. This is a delicious and healthy dish. Since the vegetables & shrimp are precooked once they become "pancakes" it goes quick.