Sharon's Ono Barbecue Beef
Ono is Hawaiian for tasty. My friend, Sharon, always takes this to potlucks at work. She also brings copies of the recipe because people always ask for it. I'm generally not a barbecue fan, but I really enjoy this recipe. It is great on buns or over rice.
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 15mins
- 3 lbs boneless chuck roast
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups catsup (preferably Heinz)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar (depending on taste)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- Place chuck roast into a crock pot.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Pour barbecue sauce over meat.
- Cover& cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove roast from crock pot& shred meat with two forks.
- Place shredded meat back into crock pot& stir to coat meat with sauce.
- Cook for 15 or 20 minutes with lid off on high to reduce sauce. (Lately, I have been transferring the sauce to a pot on the stove top & reducing it while I shred the meat. The other way will work, but the stove top is more efficient.).
- Note: Sharon recommends cutting back just a bit on the vinegar.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This was ridiculously delicious. My only advice would be to cook the full 8-10 hours. I tried to rush it in 4 hours on high, and the flavor was amazing but the beef was barely pulling apart. That has nothing to do with the recipe, It was probably the cut of beef. I will use this again and again. Look no further, this is the one to try!!!!
Mmmm, mmmmm, mmmmmmmmmm. I made this for dinner last night and we loved it. I let it cook in my crockpot for 9 hours and it was perfect. My sauce with really runny so I put on stovetop to thicken and it took abou 20 minutes to get a nice thickness to it. We will make again, as we loved it. Thank you for this easy crockpot meal.
This was quick and easy to throw together but more importantly it is DELICIOUS! Reduced the sauce on the stove for about 15 min while I shredded the beef. The other reviewer who said it would be easier to just dump a bottle of BBQ sauce in instead is crazy. This tastes way better than anything out of a bottle!