Scrambled Breakfast Hash
photo by AZPARZYCH
- Ready In:
- 2 cups tater tots (I used precooked crowns)
- 4 green onions, white and tops chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup grated colby cheese
- salt and pepper
- top with a dollop sour cream (optional)
- top with salsa (optional)
- Place 1 Tbs. butter in a medium skillet and melt over med. heat.
- Add chopped green onion and garlic powder to butter and cook until onion is tender. Stir often to keep onion from burning.
- Once onion is softened, add the tater-tot crowns and cook until brown and crispy; turning occasionally. Crowns will start to break apart.
- While tater crowns are browning, add eggs to a large glass mixing bowl.
- Add the 2 Tbs. water to the eggs and scramble with a fork.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 Tbs. butter on medium heat.
- Pour the eggs into the large skillet and allow the bottom to start to set.
- Add salt and pepper to the egg and scramble.
- Cook eggs until they are nice and fluffy and set.
- Place a scoop of the tater-tot crown mixture on a plate and sprinkle with a little cheese, top the mixture with some of the fluffy eggs and another sprinkling of cheese.
- Top with sour cream, salsa or both if you so desire and enjoy!
- Note: When making scrambled eggs, you should never mix them with milk (unless your making French toast). Milk causes the eggs to weep and be less fluffy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was good and easy to make. I made everything in one pan instead of topping the hash browns with the eggs mixture and we really enjoyed that. I followed the recipe as written other then I used a teaspoon of minced garlic and sharp cheddar cheese. I ate this plain but my son ate it in a tortilla.
I made this recipe on 4/10/12 for the " Spring PAC 2012 " and for my lunch.Since it was just for me the recipe was cut down accordingly. I used 2 eggs, 9 tater tots,just a shake or two of garlic powder,and just about 2 teaspoons of green onions. For the cheese,all I had was sharp cheddar. Other than those changes, the recipe was made as it was written. I really liked the idea of using tater tots as a " nice change of pace " from regular potatoes. The addition of green onions and garlic powder really gave the eggs a very good flavor. Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
see 6 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a young inspiring chef. I hope to some day become a Choclatier. After all, there never can be enough chocolate :) My grandparents gave me my first cookbook this past Christmas called Greatest Ever Chocolate...so I guess you could say it is my favorite. I started baking two years ago and sold my items at our local Farmers Market. That began my love for baking, and joy of cooking. I especially like to take a recipe and change it. Sometimes the outcome has been really good and other times, well... I hope to gather some family recipes from my great grandma and my grandmas because many people recall dishes they used to have when a child only to have the recipes lost forever when the person passes away. Oh, and yes just in case you are wondering I am related to Chef Buggsy Mate...she is my Awesome Mom! The one who has instilled a love of cooking in me. And what came first the Buggsy or the Mate? I got my nickname from my mom first, then I came up with hers. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">