Savory Onion Pie
photo by Cassandras Kitchen
- Ready In:
1 9 inch pie
Two-layer 9-inch pie dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 cup flour
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Prepare the pie crust in advance, hopefully overnight. I chilled the dough for 4 hours and it wasn't ready, so I made the dish the following evening. The dough cooperated much better the second night.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water slowly until mixture forms a ball. Only use as much as you need. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate overnight, or at least 4-5 hours.
- Roll out one of the balls of dough on counter. Set in 9" pie pan and refrigerate until needed.
- Saute onions in butter, salt and pepper until tender, not brown. Spread over bottom layer pastry. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Blend all remaining ingredients together. Pour over onions and cheese.
- Take out the second ball of dough and roll it out for top crust. Be sure to cut slits for venting and secure the top to the bottom by pinching the edges, or use the tongs of a fork to press the top and bottom together.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.
- Cool 20 minutes and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm just an average, every day American girl, lookin' for good recipes to make for me and my hunny.