Puff Pastry Sausage Wheels
This is appetizer/snack is very popular in Australia. It was introduced there by English settlers. I know you will be tempted to jazz these up with herbs or onion, well go right ahead! Sometimes simple is better, though. The original recipe calls for shortcrust pastry, but I use frozen puff pastry for ease.
- Ready In:
- 7 ounces shortcrust pastry or 1 sheet puff pastry
- 8 ounces bulk sausage
- flour, for dusting
- milk, for glazing
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll pastry out into a thin rectangle; cut lengthwise into 2 long strips.
- Divide sausage into 2 portions, dust with flour, and form long rolls about the same length as the pastry.
- Place sausage in the middle of the pastry strips; brush pastry edges with milk, then seal long edge.
- Brush the two pastries with milk, then slice into 1 to 2 inch rounds.
- Place rounds on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F; reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake until puffed and golden, about an additional 10 to 15 minutes.