Santa Bread from Taste of Home
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- 4 cups bread flour, may need 4 1/2
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 2 raisins
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 drops red food coloring
- In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
- In small saucepan, heat milk, water and butter to 120 - 130.
- Add to dry ingredients; buat just until moistened.
- Beat in eggs until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into two portions, one slightly larger than the other.
- Shap larger portion into an elongated triangle with rounded corners for Santa's head and hat.
- Divide smaller portion in half.
- Shape and flatten one half into a beard.
- Using scissors or pizza cutter, cut into strips to within 1 inch of top.
- Position on Santa's face; twist and curl strips if desired.
- Use remaining dough for mustache, nose, hat pom-pom and brim.
- Shape a portion of dough into a mustache; flatten and cut ends into small strips with scissors.
- Place above beard.
- Place a small ball above mustache for nose.
- Fold tip of hat over and add another ball for pop-pom.
- Roll out a narrow piece od fough to create a hat brim; position under hat.
- With scissors, cut two slits for eyes; insert raisins into slits (I think you could use blueberry craisins for blue eyes)
- In separate small bowls, beat egg yolk.
- Add red flood coloring to one yolk; carefully brush over hat, nose and cheeks.
- Brush plain yolk over remaining dough.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Uncover; bake 10-12 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"