Salted Caramel Frosting
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Briefly stir together granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue cooking, without stirring, until mixture turns dark amber in color, 6-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and slowly add in cream and vanilla, stirring with a wooden spoon until completely smooth. Set aside until cool to the touch, about 25 minutes.
- Beat butter and salt on high in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low, add powdered sugar, and mix until completely incorporated.
- Turn mixer off and scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add caramel. Beat frosting on medium-high speed until airy and thoroughly mixed, about 2 minutes.
- For easiest spreading, cover and refrigerate until stiff, about 45 minutes, before using. If not, spread and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
As my name suggests, I am a part-time hobbit, escaping to my quiet life in the Shire whenever I can. In reality, I am a busy student who uses cooking as therapy. I am severely gluten intolerant and mildly dairy intolerant, so most of the recipes I post/comment on will be compatible with my dietary restrictions. Still, I love to eat, and have learned that you don't have to sacrifice flavor and personality when you go gluten and dairy free. I tend to like recipes that are either real homey comfort food, or transport me to the places I've travelled to, or would like to someday visit. I believe in eating organic, ethically raised meat and vegetables. I like to stay as close to nature as possible, eating mostly whole foods.