These cakes are named for a woman from Bath, England who originally made and sold them in the streets. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry active yeast or 1 cake yeast
- 1⁄4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, no substitutions
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- Soften yeast in lukewarm water.
- Scald milk; add butter, sugar and salt.
- Cool to lukewarm and add softened yeast and beaten eggs.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Cover and let rise until light.
- While rising, grease muffin pans.
- Beat the batter well and fill muffin cups 2/3 full; let rise again.
- While rising, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION