Rooney's Irish Bread
photo by JW-Re
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- In a large bowl, mix together the baking powder, salt, sugar, and flour.
- Rub in the shortening.
- Add raisins.
- Beat together the eggs and milk.
- Add egg mixture to the dry mixture.
- Mix together with your hands on a floured surface until well blended.
- Roll to fit into a greased cast iron skillet.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
- Turn down heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for another 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a young, recently married American on the East Coast. My husband and I both work full time, so easy, cheap,hearty, yet low-fat recipes are key. We both enjoy cooking and trade off on specialty dishes. My in-laws little farm in Maine provides us with venison, farm-fresh eggs, potatoes, corn, rhubarb, pears, raspberries, and various other vegetables as the season permits.