Rob's Chicken Balti
photo by robd16
- Ready In:
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped into half rings
- 1 bell pepper, chopped into strips
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 -6 tablespoons balti curry paste (I use half a jar of pataks brand)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 inches piece gingerroot, grated
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 1 large apple, grated
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 chicken stock cube (I like knorr stockpot)
- 50 g of solid coconut cream, grated (around 1/4 of a block)
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 1 large handful fresh coriander, leaves and stalks- chopped (cilantro)
- black pepper
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the oil, brown off the chicken quickly and reserve to 1 side. Now fry the onions and peppers over a medium heat in the remaining oil until just starting to brown.
- Add the curry paste and fry off for at least 2 minutes before adding the garlic and ginger and frying for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan stirring well along with the cinnamon cumin, cardamom, bay and garam marsala. Boil down for around 3-5 minutes.
- Mix the stock cube with 1/2 pt boiling water and add to the pan along with the coconut cream and the milk, bring to the boil and add the reserved chicken and the grated apple.
- Cook for 30 minutes over a low/medium heat.
- Taste and adjust seasonings adding salt and plenty of black pepper, take off the heat and throw in the coriander, allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I come from a family of food loves, in fact its the subject we talk about most! I've been trying to write a cookbook for years but always hit stumbling blocks or wanted to go in another direction. Its not as easy as it looks! I've decided to upload my all time favorite recipes onto this website. Trust me when I say that good recipes don't make it onto my page, only the truly great and AMAZINGLY TASTY or ingenious and unusual ones do. Most are tried and tested but some I just give the general idea for. You get the gist! I really appriciate your reviews and comments so If you've made or tasted one of my recipes then please leave me some feedback!