Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper Pesto
photo by Pie Queen
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- Peel away dry outer skin from garlic head.
- Leave skins of garlic cloves intact.
- Cut off pointed top portion with a knife, leaving the head intact but exposing the individual cloves.
- Place garlic head, cut side up, in small baking dish.
- Drizzle with oil; cover and set aside.
- Halve the sweet peppers; remove stem, membranes and seeds.
- Place peppers, cut sides down, on foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake peppers and covered garlic in a 425 oven 20-25 minutes or until pepper skins are bubbly and blackened.
- Remove peppers.
- Place peppers in a clean brown paper bag and seal.
- Let stand 20-30 minutes or until peppers are cool enough to handle.
- Continue baking garlic 20-35 minutes more until garlic cloves feel soft when pressed.
- Set garlic aside to cool.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully peel peppers.
- Cut peppers into pieces.
- Remove garlic head from oil, reserve oil.
- Press to remove garlic paste from the individual cloves.
- In food processor bowl or blender container combine roasted pepper pieces, garlic paste, reserved oil, Asiago or Parmesan cheese, black pepper and salt.
- Cover and process with several on-off turns until smooth.
- When necessary, stop food processor or blender and use a rubber scraper to scrape the side of bowl or container.
- Stir in thyme.
- To store, place in airtight container and store in refrigerator up to 1 week or in the freezer up to 3 months.
- To serve, bring pesto to room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!