photo by Tim_John
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 30mins
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Remove and discard giblets from chicken.
- Rinse chicken cavity, and pat dry with paper towel. Rub each chicken inside and out with spice mixture. Place 1 onion into the cavity of each chicken. Place chickens in a resealable bag or double wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 to 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
- Place chickens in a roasting pan. Bake uncovered for 5 hours, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Let the chickens stand for 10 minutes before carving.
- This is from foodsafety.gov.
- Chicken & Turkey, whole.
- Poultry breasts, roasts.
- Poultry thighs, legs, wings.
- Duck & Goose.
- Stuffing (cooked alone or in bird).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Although a great many similar recipes exist, roasting chicken at 250 degrees for 5 hours is risky. That temperature is definitely outside the USDA guidelines, and bacteria may be growing and multiplying quite a while. Poultry, especially, should not be cooked at less than 325 degrees. To be safe use the same spices but increase the temperature to 325 and decrease the oven time. Allow about 20 minutes per pound for the roasting time. The safest way to determine doneness is to use a meat thermometer and make sure the final temperature, in the thigh, is the 180 degrees stated in this recipe.