Roast Chinese Chicken
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 chicken, trimmed, washed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chinese rice wine
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 orange, quartered
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C Place a greased rack over a foil-lined baking pan.
- MARINADE: In a small bowl, combine sauces, wine, spice and garlic. Squeeze juice from orange into mixture, reserving skin and flesh.
- Pat chicken skin dry with paper towel. Stuff cavity with reserved orange quarters and cinnamon stick. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Place chicken, breast side up, on wire rack. Brush all over with half marinade mixture.
- Bake chicken for 1¼ hours, brushing occasionally with remaining marinade, until juices run clear when tested with a skewer. Cover chicken loosely with foil halfway through cooking to prevent skin from burning.
- Remove chicken from oven. Set aside, covered, to rest for 10 minutes. Cut Chinese-style (see tip). Serve with sliced oranges
- and sliced green onion.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Working mother living in beautiful Sydney, Australia.