Rich Onion Beef Soup
photo by Ms B.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs cubed deli roast beef or 2 lbs leftover cubed cooked beef roast
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- In large saucepan cook onions in butter over medium-low heat 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add beef and broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, mustard and sugar, stir in wine and browning sauce until smooth.
- Stir into the soup.
- Bring the soup to a boil and cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Excellent quick soup recipe. I prepared this using leftovers from French Dip sandwiches. I subbed the au jus broth for the can of beef broth and chopped up the sliced deli roast beef that I had used in the sandwiches. I omitted the browning sauce, but found that the mustard and wine added a nice flavor to the soup. I topped my bowl with swiss cheese, and next time will pop it under the broiler to melt it into gooey goodness. Thanks for a simple recipe.