Red Velvet Bread Pudding
- Ready In:
Red Velvet Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 lb butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
Bread Pudding Mix
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Greased 9 by 13 by 2-inch sheet pan.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter, beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time and mix well after each addition. Mix cocoa and food coloring together and then add to sugar mixture; mix well. Sift together flour and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Blend in vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar and add to mixture. Pour batter into the prepared sheet pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from heat and cool completely. When the cake is cooled, cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Place cubes onto 11 by 17-inch cookie sheet. Place in oven for 10 minutes.
- Bread Pudding Mix:.
- Combine the half-and-half, eggs, egg yolk, salt, and vanilla in a medium bowl. With an electric hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Mix in the half-and-half mixture.
- Place the red velvet cubes in a large baking dish or 8 individual ramekins. Add the pudding mixture to the dish. Make sure the cake cubes are completely covered. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the pudding is set. Serve with ice cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made this for a gathering we attended & it was a huge success! It takes a bit of doing but is well worth it! We loved the rich goodness of this great bread pudding, & I'll certainly make it again! I'm a big fan of bread pudding, & this one is so wonderfully different from most! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in the current Let's P-A-R-T-Y! event]
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
To the Zaar Angel that gifted me with a Premium Membership, I Thank You from the bottom of my Heart, what a beautiful surprise,at a time in my life when I needed a pickmeup. I promise to pay it forward one day! I love to cook & bake..it is a form of meditation and relaxation to me. My Mom (Ma Mere) got me into the kitchen at the age of 4, learning to bake bread by scratch.I love to help people, through baking or cooking for them..and to be kind, to be thoughtful and forgiving...I joined the Zaar to share recipes, and to enjoy the friendships that food seems to bring together!! <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v51/tiggrr34/?action=view¤t=HolidayOrnamentSwapTag2c-1-1-1.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/tiggrr34/HolidayOrnamentSwapTag2c-1-1-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/Acadia/Banners/HolidayCardSwapBannerP.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Holiday-plaid_HPI.gif"> <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/bugh8er/Valentines%20Day/4811_265284.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/bugh8er/swap-apron/4811_296077.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">