Randy's Almost Famous Chili
photo by Ackman
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 30mins
1 large crockpot
- 3 -4 lbs ground chuck
- 1 large Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 -3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 (10 ounce) can green chilies, drained & chopped (I use the mild)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 -3 teaspoons hot sauce (I use TRAPPEY'S)
- In a large dutch oven or skillet, melt 2 T. butter flavored CRISCO.
- Add the first 4 ingredients & season with the LAWRY's.
- Cook & stir occasionally, until all pink is almost gone & vegetables are soft, but not brown.
- Drain well.
- Place in a large crockpot.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Using your hands, crush the the whole tomatoes.
- Stir well.
- Cook on low setting for 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Correct the seasonings to your taste.
- Best if cooled & reheated the next day.
- Serve with a crusty bread or corn bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><strong>The only thing I like better than cooking, is eating! I learned a lot about cooking from my Dad & an ornery old Norwegian cook, that I used to work for. <br />I don't get into fancy foods...just good ol' down-home, stick-to-your-ribs vittles...I'm a COOK...NOT a Chef! I <span>LUV</span> to bbq & grill!!<img title=Cool src=/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gif border=0 alt=Cool /> Except for pies, I don't do much baking, such as cookies, bars or cakes...that's the wife's dept. & believe me, she does a mighty FINE job!!! <br />I'm a firm believer that flavored coffee & flavored beer should be OUTLAWED & I will NOT eat Lima Beans or Lutefisk...YUK!!! <img title=Yell src=/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-yell.gif border=0 alt=Yell /><br />Our favorite place to eat is Old Abe's...a local supper club located on a wooded back-road! We also enjoy Panera Bread, Dickey's BBQ & Picanha Brazillian Steak House!!!<br />I've been married since 1977 to the most wonderful lady a man could ever ask for. We have 9 beautiful Grandkids...5 girls 4 boys, a VERY SPOILED white German Shephard (Tori) & a VERY goofy cat (Angel)! (Both of these are rescued animals.) <br />We collect antique gasoline engines & attend several shows here in the Midwest.I also enjoy ice fishing, Milwaukee Brewers baseball, WI Badger football, but most of all, we're HUGE GREEN BAY PACKERS Fans!!!!! GO PACK GO!!!!!</strong></p> 8724987"