Ranch Dressing DIY Mix
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup dry buttermilk (150 g)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, dried
- 2 teaspoons dill weed, dried (or more depending upon taste)
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons onions (dried, minced or another 1 1/2 tsp onion powder)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or salt sub)
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until the mixture is a fine powder.
- Store in a sealed container, jar or bag in a cool, dark place.
- Dressing: Mix 2 tsp (5 g) with 1/2 cup (4 oz / 125 ml) in total of any of the following, combos are fine: sour cream, mayo, Miracle Whip, regular or Greek yogurt. Fat-free versions of any of the above work great.
- Dip: Mix 1 tablespoon (10 g) or more to taste with 1/2 cup (4 oz / 125 ml) sour cream.
- Increase by a few teaspoons the amounts of dry mix used in dressing / dip if your folk are big fans of Ranch. Or, conversely, use less for a milder taste.
- Add milk to thin if desired.
- Store this in a basement pantry or cool cupboard. Milk powder does have a long storage life (check the best before date on the milk powder you use), but that can be shortened if exposed to heat or high storage temperatures, which will cause it to go rancid. For that reason, do NOT attempt to “dry can” this. The heat from that will just have the opposite effect of shortening the shelf life. Plus, there’s just no need to.
- You can multiply the size of the batch by 2, 3 or 4 times. In fact, if your audience is a fan of ranch, you will probably end up needing to after your first test batch. If you do, though, mix all in a large bowl first, then blend in batches.
- For the second onion ingredient, the recipe as originally found called for dried onion in two forms, powered and minced (as do most Ranch spice mixtures.) You can just additional powdered if that is what you have and you don’t have minced.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Die hard Cleveland Indians fan GO TRIBE - loves spending time with my family, when we have the time, my DH and I love to golf. While I like to cook quick & easy meals for my DH and myself, I also enjoy spending a day or two in the kitchen preparing big family meals like for Thanksgiving.