Rainbow Bean Soup in a Jar
- Ready In:
- 3⁄8 cup dried red beans
- 3⁄8 cup dried great northern beans
- 3⁄8 cup dried split peas
- 3⁄8 cup lentils (*)
- 3⁄8 cup dried black beans
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes (**)
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules (sold in soup section **)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes (**)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (**)
- 1 teaspoon sweetened lemonade drink mix (**)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder (**)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (**)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (**)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano (**)
- Look for red lentils or yellow split peas for a real rainbow of colors in this mix, if you can't find use regular brown lentils or pick a colorful dried bean of your choice for this layer.
- Mix seasonings and place in a thin zipper sandwich bag.
- Use a Pint Jar that has a wide mouth.
- Place each type of bean in jar in order listed above.
- Top with season bag, gently flatten bag so it can be seen from all sides.
- Put lid on jar.
- Decorate jar.
- Attach recipe to jar.
- Put a expiration date on year from now.
- RAINBOW BEAN SOUP.
- Remove seasoning packet.
- Set aside.
- Rinse beans place beans in large microwave safe dish.
- Cover with water 1" to 2" over top of beans.
- Cover dish loosely with plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high for 15 minutes, rotating after 7 minutes.
- Drain and rinse beans very well.
- Place beans in very large pan.
- Add 4 cups water and 1/2 can crushed tomatoes and seasonings from packet.
- Cover, bring to boil.
- Lower heat, cover pan and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- STIR OCCASIONALLY.
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!