- Ready In:
- 25hrs 5mins
- 2 lbs rabbit, ground
- 1 lb pork butt or 1 lb pork shoulder, ground
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced (flat-leaf preferred)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup green onions or 1 cup shallot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock or 3/4 cup rabbit stock
- 1⁄2 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- casing (you'll need 7 natural pork casings)
- To prepare casings: Let casings soak in cool water about five minutes to remove salt on outer surface (no longer, or they will become too tender to stuff) and flush salt from the inside by placing one end on faucet nozzle and turn on cold tap water (if you see holes or water leaking, cut and discard).
- Remove casing from faucet and gently squeeze out water; cover rinsed casings and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine all ingredients except the casings in a large bowl; blend thoroughly with your hands.
- Transfer mixture to a plastic container, cover and refrigerate 24 hours.
- Fill the casings and make links by twisting the sausage where you wish the links to be.
- Four inches is a good size for a regular serving, smaller links may be made for appetizer servings.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Place the sausage links in a shallow pan with an inch of water; bake uncovered for an hour.
- Place sausage links under broiler and cook until brown on top, about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!