Quinoa With Roasted Cauliflower and Kale
photo by reneeumiami
- Ready In:
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 garlic cloves (divided)
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon sea salt
- sesame seeds (optional)
- 3 garlic scapes (optional)
- 1. Peel and smash 1 garlic clove.
- 2. Bring broth and garlic to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat to med-high, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the quinoa absorbs the broth.
- 3. Slice cauliflower into 1/2 inch thick slabs, then chop into bite-sized pieces. The flat slices will brown and caramelize better than florets. Slice remaining garlic. Cut the stems out of the kale leaves and chop into 1 inch squares.
- 4. Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add garlic slices. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Add cauliflower cut-sides down. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the cauliflower browns slightly. Flip the cauliflower, sprinkle with 1 teaspoons salt, and cook for another 5 minutes. Turn the heat up to med-high if necessary. The cauliflower should be cooked, but still have a crunch to it. Remove the cauliflower from the skillet and set aside.
- 5. Heat 1 tablespoons in the skillet and add chopped kale. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoons salt. Cook, stirring frequently for 2 minutes, or until the kale turns bright green and starts to wilt. Add the cauliflower back to the skillet and mix.
- 6. Serve the quinoa topped with the cauliflower and kale. Sprinkle with seasame seeds and garnish with garlic scapes, if available.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm interested in new recipes for venison, baby food, and ways to use all my CSA produce before it spoils. I prefer baking to cooking, organics to pretty, local to well-traveled, homemade to convience, and any other errand to grocery shopping!