Quinoa and Barley Breakfast Porridge
Here is a yummy alternative to oatmeal in the morning. Very healthy whole grains, too. "Super foods" some people call them. Takes a little while to make it, but very yummy. Add your own spices, sweeteners and dried fruit, to your taste. This recipe can be easily halved if you use a small saucepan. Supposedly you can cook in a small crockpot overnight, but I've personally only ever tried this on the stovetop.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup barley (I prefer hulled to pearled)
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 cups water
- dried fruits (optional, such as raisins, cranberries or cherry)
- maple syrup (optional) or sugar (optional)
- spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom (optional)
- milk (optional) or yogurt (optional)
- For the crockpot method: Mix the first four ingredients (barley, quinoa, salt and water) and cook on low overnight.
- For the stovetop method: Combine the first four ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Then simmer covered for about 40 minutes, until all the water is absorbed.
- For both methods continue from here: Fluff with a fork and put into serving dishes.
- Add sweetener, dried fruits and spices, as desired. Basically, as you would like for oatmeal. Similar. Serve with milk or yogurt if desired.
- For Vegan omit the milk and yogurt or sub non dairy milk such as soy milk.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Like so many home cooks I had quinoa & barley in my pantry but was at a loss as to how to better incorporate these grains into daily use. With this recipe I have achieved this. In a pan I gently heated butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, fresh squeezed orange juice, raisins, nutmeg, pecans, and a grated apple until it lightly browned. I added this to my Q&B...I can't express how uttely delicious it was. Amazing!2Reply
Well, I tried this to mix up my daily oatmeal, but I think I prefer the taste of oatmeal. I cooked it in the crock pot and it did absorb all the water but I think it could have done with less. It might have had more texture. If I make it again I'd probably try 3 cups of water instead of 4 since water doesn't escape from a crock pot like cooking over a stove top. I grated in an apple, salt, cinnamon and splenda. One thing that it has over oatmeal is that I found it to be more filling. That's why I give it 4 stars instead of 3.Reply
This was very good! I love barley and had never had quinoa although I had remembered seeing it in the stores. However when I went to buy it I couldn't find it. I rinsed it off first like the directions say plus I made it in the recipe in my crockpot. I added brown sugar, almonds and cinnamon to the mixture. Then when I ate it I also added a pat of butter. Very filling and hearty. Made for Healthy ABC tag.Reply