Quick Beef & Barley Soup
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces sirloin steaks, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Sprinkle steak with 1/4t. pepper. Heat 2t oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the steak and cook, stirring often, until browned on all sides. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2t oil, onion and celery to the pot and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add carrot and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
- Add the tomato paste, and thyme and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are coated with tomato paste and are beginning to brown, 1-2 minutes.
- Add barley, broth, water, salt and the remaining 1/4t pepper; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook until the barley is tender, about 15 minutes more.
- Return the beef and any accumulated juice to the pot and heat through, 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vinegar to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a happily married mother of two and I own a jewelry and accessory business. My husband and I were vegan for six years, we now eat poultry and fish. My husband is a personal trainer and competitive bodybuilder, so it's very important that we eat healthy... too bad I have such a sweet-tooth!