Pumpkin Orzo With Sage
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From the blog at Serious Eats. If you stick with vegetable broth and oil and leave out the milk, this can be vegan. You can also substitute 2 cups fully cooked rice (or other grain) for the orzo (skip step 1 entirely in that case).
- Ready In:
- 3 cups vegetable stock or 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock or 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 30 sage leaves, cut into ribbons
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper (20 grinds)
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups of stock and 3 cups of water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until al dente, about 9 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute sage and shallot for 5 minutes. Add 3/4 cup stock and 1/2 cup milk. Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes.
- Add pumpkin puree and stir until well combined. Add salt, pepper and remaining 3/4 cup of broth. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10-12 minutes, until desired consistency is achieved.
- Stir in Parmigiano cheese and toss with orzo.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION