Pumpkin Maple Custard
photo by JenBlanchette
- Ready In:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 3⁄4 cup canned solid- pack pumpkin
- 7 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together cream, milk, syrup, and pumpkin, Bringing to a simmer over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together yolks, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Whisking constantly, gradually add hot cream mixture to the yolk mixture, straining through a fine-mesh sieve into a large pyrex measuring cup.
- Divide mixture evenly among six 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups.
- Line the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch baking pan with a kitchen towel to prevent custards from scorching; place ramekins on top of towel.
- Place in oven on center rack, and pour enough boiling water in pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Cover pan tightly with foil, and bake until custard is set and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely, then refrigerate, covered first with paper towel (to absorb moisture), and then with plastic wrap, for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Serve garnished with chopped crystallized ginger and sweetened whipped cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a longtime member since 2002. While I have many recipes here, most of my current recipes are on my food blog at palatablepastime.com I may occasionally post something extra I have here. If you have questions, you can always contact me at email@example.com