Potato Chana Masala
photo by Mary Jenny
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons each suraj coriander and cumin seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon each salt and turmeric
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 large sweet potato, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (540 ml) can suraj chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped (about 3 cups/750 mL)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat; cook coriander, cumin, salt and turmeric for 30 seconds, stirring.
- Stir in onions; cook for 7 to 9 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding up to 1/2 cup (125 mL) water if pan is too dry, or until softened.
- Stir in garlic and jalapeño; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in sweet and regular potatoes; cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until potatoes are slightly tender.
- Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes and a little water if mixture is too thick. Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; stir in coriander and lemon juice. Serve with rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!