Portuguese Sweet Rice (Arroz Doce)
- Ready In:
1 casserole dish
- Turn stove to maximum. In a large pot add water. Peel most of the rind from one lemon and add the peels to the pot. Set lemon aside and turn stove down to medium.
- Add salt and margarine.
- When water is boiling, add rice. Stir constantly.
- When most of the liquid boils away, add 1/2 cup of milk. Stir. Repeat this step until all the milk is added.
- Remove rind from pot.
- Grate the rest of the lemon zest and add it. Add sugar. Remove pot from element.
- Slowly stir in egg yolks. (add a little bit of milk to the yolks first).
- Return pot to the element just until the rice boils. Stir constantly to avoid burning!
- Pour into casserole dish and allow to cool slightly before covering.
- Just before serving, sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Tip: for a stronger lemon flavour, use two lemons. Peel most of the rind from one for the cooking process, and grate most of the zest from a second lemon to add at the end. For a weaker flavour, use only one lemon and make it stretch for both.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Greetings from Portugal. Yes this is a typical Portuguese receipe especially around the Holidays, it is on every Portuguese table. Your receipe is the closestes Ive found to mine, I like to add 2cinnamon stick to the water and milk and just remove it when rice is cooked, and at that point I usually like to squeeze in the juices of 2 lemons, it gives it a very refeshing taste, and more lemony.. Well done its great seeing others posting Portuguese receipe.