Poor Man's Pudding
photo by Food.com
- Ready In:
- 2 cups/ 500ml pure maple syrup
- 1 cup/ 250ml 35-percent cream
- 1⁄2 cup/ 125ml brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup/ 60ml butter
- 1 cup/ 250ml butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup/ 250ml sugar
- 1 tablespoon/ 15ml pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups/ 500ml all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons/ 10ml baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup/ 250ml milk
- vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
For the maple sauce:
- Bring the maple syrup, cream, brown sugar and butter to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
For the batter:
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl with a mixer.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk, and beating until just combined.
- Divide the batter among 8 ramekins. Pour the syrup over the batter. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the pudding comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Affable Canadian chef Chuck Hughes is a restaurateur and television personality known for his inventive take on comfort food, which he shares on his show, Chuck's Day Off.