- Ready In:
- 6 ounces chocolate chips (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 1⁄2 cups vanilla wafers, crushed (5 doz.)
- 1 cup nuts, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- Melt chocolate chips in double boiler or microwave. Remove from heat and stir in corn syrup and water.
- Combine crushed vanilla wafers and chopped nuts. Add chocolate mixture and orange extract. Mix well.
- Form 1 inch balls and roll in sugar. Store in airtight container at least several days.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I just found this recipe in my mom's recipes last night. She called them "Pomerands". It is the exact same recipe we made at Christmas-time when I was a little girl and I LOVE them! We would roll the little balls in colored green or red sugar. Thanks for posting, it brings back great memories. Note (1/23/08): The cooking instructions say to "stir in corn syrup and water" but there is no water listed in the ingredients. It is 1/4 cup of water. Also another reviewer wondered where you stir the 1/2 cup of sugar and it goes into the melted chocolate along with the corn syrup and 1/4 cup of water.
I made this tonight for my cookie gift baskets, and they didnt turn out quite how I expected. First off, where does the 1/2 cup of sugar go?? I mixed it in with my chocolate. Second, Step one says stir in corn syrup and water...how much water?? I just used about a 1/4 cup until the chocolate was smooth. The balls had to sit for about an hour before they got to a consistency that was strong enough to handle so I could roll them in sugar. I used powdered sugar to roll them in, but I'm not sure if this is what the recipe meant?? All in all, they taste ok, but I feel as if something didnt turn out right. I'm debating whether or not to include them in my gift baskets. After these sat for awhile they turned out to be pretty amazing. I felt bad for the 2 star review, so I came back to clear things up...I still only gave 4 stars because I am not exactly sure how much water...?