Polynesian Wedding Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 3⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped dates (optional) or 1 cup raisins (optional)
cream cheese frosting
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using a wooden spoon (do not use a mixer), combine oil and sugar until blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition, and vanilla. Gradually add dry ingredients, stirring until well blended.
- Add shredded carrots, chopped nuts, pineapple and coconut and mix just until combined.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until top of cake springs back when lightly touched.
- After cake has cooled, top with cream cheese frosting or serve plain.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter.
- Add confectioners' sugar, milk, vanilla and most of the toasted coconut. Let cake cool completely and spread frosting on top. Decorate top with toasted coconut, if desired. Variation: Substituting 1 teaspoon of lemon zest for the vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice for the milk will produce a nice lemony frosting.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello fellow cooks-I am on OBGYN doctor and I am new to this website. . I love RecipeZaar since there are so many, easy, delicious, tested recipes. Between myself and my boyfriend, we have 5 children so there is always someone hungry-the family is so happy about the new, freshly cooked foods that have been gracing our table as of late. Gardening- here in south florida we have lots of tropical fruit trees - is another hobby that I enjoy. We love scuba diving too. Recently, I did a tandem parachute jump.