Pippies (Clams) Wok-Tossed With Chilli and Asian Basil ((Nhieu X
- Ready In:
- 1 lemongrass (stalk bruised and sliced into 5cm lengths)
- 1 cup water
- 500 g cockles
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic (finely diced)
- 1 tablespoon red shallot (finely diced)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon potato starch (mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
- 2 chilies (long deseeded finely sliced into strips)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- basil leaves (Asian 2 handfuls)
- In a saucepan bring water to the boil, add lemongrass and pippies and cover and cook until pippies open slightly (roughly 4 minutes).
- In a bowl, add sugar, fish sauce and oyster sauce and mix until sugar dissolves and set aside.
- Strain the pippies, reserving the broth.
- Heat a wok to high, add oil, garlic and red shallots, followed by the pippies, and then wok toss for 1 minute.
- Add the sauce and 3 tablespoons of the pippie broth and toss for a further minute and then add the dissolved potato starch and then add the chilli, pepper and asian basil and toss to combine.
- Enjoy with a beer.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
With the demise of the forums and with no more interaction on site with what was a great community and it was a pleasure to get to know so many of you over the years and to have had the privilege of meeting some of you in person. For me now this is just another recipe site like to many on the net, it has lost its specialness, such a pity especially when Scripps changed the name from Recipezaar to Food.com and made this statement sorry cannot replicate here as considered invalid but they basically said yes the community was valuable hence .com was short for community but it was a pack of lies as they were not willing to put the money into that community and got rid of the forums which was the community so for .com has become .crap.