Pink Ricotta Skillet Pie
photo by Outta Here
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a large cast iron skillet on medium heat, cook the onions, garlic and salt until they begin to caramelize. Meanwhile, mix the mozzarella, half the Parmesan, the ricotta and the eggs in a mixing bowl.
- To the skillet, add the spinach, sun dried tomatoes, the tomato paste and the spices. Cook until the liquid from the spinach is dried out.
- Add the spinach mixture to the cheese mixture and combine well. Put it back into the skillet, smooth the top and top with the remaining Parmesan.
- Bake for around 40 minutes. The top should be crispy and golden brown.
- Allow 10 minutes rest before cutting and serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is really good and I like the low-carb aspect of it (since I love quiche but can't have the crust as often as I would like). I liked the "bite" of the chili powder and red pepper flakes. I only made a half recipe and used a smaller pan, and it worked fine. I, too, will experiment next time with different herb combos. Made for Fall 2008 PAC.
*Absolutely Delicious!* I thought this recipe sounded good, but never thought it would be THIS good! I made it into a pie/quiche and baked for pretty much the same amount of time. Made exactly as written and I would not change a thing. I did have filling left over, but not quite enough for another pie. Maybe the leftovers would be nice baked in a small souffle dish as a side to a nice Italian meal. Thanks so much for sharing, this goes right into my Favorites collection. *Made for Fall PAC 2008*
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Elmotoo's most frequent guinea pig, when I'm home. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">