Pineapple, Sweet Potato and Chicken Bake
- Ready In:
- 440 g pineapple chunks in juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 400 g chicken fillets or 400 g chicken tenderloins, cut into strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (kumara, diced or sliced)
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice (ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric)
- 1⁄4 cup water or 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 spring onions, chopped (green onions, shallots)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Drain pineapple and reserve the liquid.
- Combine the oil garlic, honey, soy sauce and the reserved pineapple juice - mix well to make a marinade.
- Use 1/2 of the marinade mix to marinate the chicken for 10 minutes.
- Toss the pineapple pieces, onion and the sweet potato with the remaining marinade and place it into a casserole dish. Bake 10 minutes until the potato begins to soften. Bake uncovered.
- Add the marinated chicken and the marinade, wine or water, 3/4 of the spring onions,mixed spice sesame seeds. Cook for a further 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the ingredients have caramelised.Add extra wine or water if needed.
- Serve over a bed of rice or noodles and sprinkle with the remaining spring onion.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
After a little hiccup which Jubes very kindly sorted out very quickly we went ahead. I cut the sweet potatoe into about the same size as the pineapples pieces but they took about 20 minutes to get to the soft stage and about 15 minutes for the chicken breast strips. We didn't get a caramelised look to the dish but were left with a lot of sauce which would have gone really well with the rice I was going to serve (but forgot to turn on the rice cooker) so was served with steam vegetables and we used bread to mop up the sauce (the rice would have been heaps better). Will make again but probably mix a little cornflour (with water) and add to the mix in the last 5 or so minutes. Thank you **Jubes**, made for Edition 3 - Make My Recipes - a game of tag.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Aussie Mum - gluten-free