Perfect Red Velvet Cake
photo by BB2011
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 (1 ounce) bottles red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together margarine and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well each time.
- Mix cocoa and food color until cocoa is dissolved in food color. Then mix with above.
- Add flavoring and mix.
- Mix soda and buttermilk.
- Add flour and milk alternately, beginning and ending with flour. Mix well but do not overbeat, as cake will be tough.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-inch pans and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Cool and frost.
- For three layer cake, use three 8″ pans and cook for 20min.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the cold cream cheeses and butter until creamy.
- Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners’ sugar. Store in the refrigerator after use.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I'm a science teacher who likes experimenting with a variety of recipes and ingredients. I'm a vegetarian (since 11/2003) and my sister is vegan, so many of my recipes reflect this.</p>