Pennsylvania Dutch Sour Cream-Apple Pie
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 5mins
- 1 (9 1/2 inch) prepared deep dish pie shells
- 1 1⁄4 cups full-fat sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7 -8 cups peeled peeled cored thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt (a big pinch)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Place the prepared pie pastry shell in the freezer for 15 minutes; preheat oven to 400°.
- In a big bowl, whisk the sour cream, sugar, egg, flour, salt, and vanilla until well blended.
- Add in the apples; mix well.
- Turn the filling into the chilled pie shell; smooth the top with your hands, laying the apple slices down flat.
- Place the pie on the center oven rack; bake for 15 minutes; decrease heat to 350°; bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the topping: in a big bowl, combine the flour, sugars, cinnamon, salt, and walnuts; add in the butter and stir with a fork, then switch to your hands rubbing the mixture gently between your fingers until it forms uniform crumbs; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove pie from oven and carefully dump the streusel topping in the center, spreading it evenly over the surface with your hands.
- Tamp the topping down lightly.
- Return pie to oven, placing it so that the part that faced the back of the oven now faces the front.
- Slide a foil-line baking sheet onto the rack below to catch any spills.
- Continue baking for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer pie to wire rack to cool for at least 2 hours before serving;
- You may serve this pie chilled, so after it is thoroughly cooled, cover with loosely tented foil and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!