Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Bake
- Ready In:
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pimiento, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, diagonally sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 6 cups potatoes, sliced and cooked
- In skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove bacon from skillet.
- Pour off all but 1/4 cup drippings.
- Gradually blend broth into flour until smooth; slowly stir into drippings.
- Add remaining ingredients except potatoes.
- Cook, stirring until thickened.
- In 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish, arrange potatoes; pour broth mixture over potatoes.
- Cover; bake at 400ºF for 30 minutes or until hot.
- Garnish with bacon.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was a great dish for Sunday dinner. I did not peel the potatoes, just scrubbed them good and sliced and simmered. I did all that ahead, as well as measuring out the other ingredients, so when it was time to cook it was quick and easy. I served them as a side dish with roast chicken and a tossed salad. Wonderful!
This was one of the best potato recipes I have ever had! I wasnt sure what to think with the vinegar and sugar being added but the flavour turned out excellent so dont let that fool you. I only made a half batch since it was just 2 of us and used a 8x8 pan (wish I made the full batch since even the leftovers are now gone). I didnt have any pimentos so I used red peppers which tasted great too. I also fogot to read the part about covering before baking but they turned out fine and didnt burn. Great as a side for any meat.