Peach Upside Down Muffins
photo by Amy020
- Ready In:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter (I used 1/2 c)
- 1 cup brown sugar (I used 1/2 c)
- 6 peaches, peeled and sliced (I used 3 and it was plenty)
- 6 maraschino cherries, halved
- In medium bowl, mix together egg, milk and melted shortening. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Fold into egg mixture until just combined.
- Divide butter and brown sugar equally among 12 muffin tin cups. Heat in a 375*F oven until melted (a minute or two).
- Place one cherry half in the center of each tin cup and arrange peach slices around it. Spoon batter over cherries/peaches.
- Bake 25 mins or until center is set. Remove from oven and turn out onto serving platter (or wire rack over wax paper to catch the buttery, sugary drips) immediately. Let cool.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These muffins are a new breakfast treat at my house! They are more like dessert than a muffin, which is fine by me, as I love my sweets! We all couldn't wait to try one, and that first bite was spectacular! I had along with my first cup of coffee and this was an added bonus to breakfast this morning! Thanks for sharing!
Needed to use up some peaches so thought I would try this recipe. Didn't have any cherries though. Turned out good. But I would not do as the recipe suggest about popping them out immediately when taking them out of the oven. The first one I did kinda fell apart so I waited a few minutes to let the others cool off and they popped out of the tins nicely. Be careful drizzle from the peaches, brown sugar and butter is very hot. I also think I might add a bit of lemon juice next time it seems like there is something missing. Still tasty though!!
Made these with fresh peaches for A GREAT BREAKFAST TREAT, & now I want to make them, using canned peaches, later in the year as a special dessert for company! Very, very nice with a cup of hot chocolate, welcoming in the first day of Fall! Thanks for the keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]