Pasta Bake With Sausage, Broccoli and Beans
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large head of broccoli, about 1 1/2 pounds, cut into small florets
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3⁄4 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for pan
- 1 lb italian-style turkey sausage, with fennel (removed from casing if uncooked or thinly sliced if precooked)
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained (1 can cannellini beans can be used)
- 2⁄3 lb skim mozzarella cheese, grated, 1/4 cup reserved
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup pecorino romano cheese, finely grated, 1/4 cup reserved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a 9-x-13-inch gratin or baking dish.
- In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, broccoli and garlic. Simmer the broccoli and garlic for 5 minutes, until softened. With a slotted spoon remove the broccoli and garlic to a large bowl. Bring the water back to the boil, add the pasta, and cook the pasta for about 2 minutes less than the package directions suggest, about 11 minutes. The pasta should be al dente, a little firm.
- Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven set over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add sausage and the garlic cloves from the broccoli bowl, and cook, stirring frequently until meat is fully cooked and no longer pink, about 4 to 5 minutes, if using fresh sausage. (If using fully cooked sausage, cook until surface is golden, about 2 to 3 minutes.) With a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to the broccoli, and drain most of the oil from the pan, leaving about 2 tablespoons. Discard the garlic.
- Toss drained pasta with sausage mixture. Add beans, stock, 3/4 cup of grated mozzarella cheese and all of the ricotta. Add remaining salt and pepper. Gently toss. Transfer to prepared gratin or baking dish, top with breadcrumbs, remaining 1/4 cup of grated cheese and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, and drizzle with olive oil.
- If making this in advance, allow the mixture to come to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until heated through and crusty on top.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation