Paragon Shrimp Newburg
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 cups peeled cooked shrimp (about 2 pounds in shell)
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter.
- In a separate saucepan, heat cream until hot, being careful not to boil.
- Stir flour into butter, a little at a time, until well combined.
- Add salt, cayenne, white pepper and nutmeg. Cook, stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Add heated cream, whisking to incorporate flour mixture.
- Stir in lemon juice and continue to cook until smooth.
- Slowly add grated Gruyere and stir until cheese is melted and mixture is thickened. Whisk 1/3 of the hot cheese sauce into the 2 egg yolks, working quickly to incorporate. Add egg misture into the remaining sauce mixture in the saucepan and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in shrimp.
- Serve over pasta as an entree, or with toasted bread points for an appetizer.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!