Oven Fried Lentil Balls
photo by CaliforniaJan
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 2 cups lentils
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- cooking spray
- Rinse and drain the lentils. Chop the onion and the garlic.
- In a dry skillet, toast the pine nuts for 2-3 minutes or until browned.
- Put the lentils in a large saucepan, cover with the water, and add the salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Drain.
- Whisk the egg, tomato juice, and tomato paste in a mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and the drained lentils and mix well.
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and garlic and saute for 3 minutes, until onion is soft. Add the coriander and cumin and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the onion mixture to the lentil mixture and stir well.
- Puree 1/2 cup of the toasted pine nuts and 1 cup of the lentil mixture in a food processor until smooth. Scrape the puree back into the remaining lentil mixture and add the remaining pine nuts and the black pepper. Mix well and season with salt if necessary. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Put the remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Form spoonfuls of the lentil mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls and roll in the breadcrumbs. Arrange the balls on the prepared cookie sheet. Spray the tops with cooking spray.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes, until cooked through. Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I preapared the recipe as described. I simplified the step of puree the lentils and pine nuts placing them in the bowl over the other ingredients and uning shortly the blender leaving the half "untouched".<br/>I brushed the oil and placed them in the oven.<br/>They came out very well and served with other dishes (especially a fresh raita) they made a wonderful impression.<br/>Thanks a lot for these yummies!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY